July 11, 2011

Bread Bins: What to do?

I feel like my mother was probably craving for bread while I was in her womb. It's the only reason I can think of behind my obsession for bread--pandesal, commercial loaf bread, multigrain, focaccia, name it I want it. But when we received a Brabantia bread bin one Christmas from my brother-in-law, I was pretty sure I was never going to store bread in it.



Any savvy Filipina homemaker (*ahem*) who knows her bread would also know that storing them in a bin as seen on the box it comes in would spell disaster. Since it's much more practical to buy bread in bulk to last several days, to store them all in a bin like this will dry them out the same day. Also, if kept out, it becomes an open invitation for ants, crawlers, and (gasp!) mice to come and take their prized loot. No thanks, but I keep my bread neatly wrapped in paper and sealed in the refridgerator. 


Of course, I didn't want to seem like an ungrateful recipient. For sure my brother-in-law would've noticed if we didn't have the said bread bin in use somewhere in our kitchen. So what to do with the it? After sitting empty for a couple of months after moving in, we realized it was a great place to keep our vitamins and medicines. It is functional enough to hide the little bottles, droppers, and banigs, and also keeps them within reach from our breakfast table.



So, if you receive a bread bin one Christmas, remember: forget the bread, use the bin, and thank the giver for a wonderful gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment